Subject: Re: Droplets
From: Andrew Hofman <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 00:33:09 -0500

>To do it cheaply, isolate the areas where the
>droplets hit and use a separate surface for them. Then apply the image
>sequences just to those small areas. Sequence the images such that they
>give the timing they require. For example, you want a drop impact at
>frame 5 with drops re-occuring every 5 seconds. You would use something
>like this:
>drop001.iff  ;first impact ring
>drop002.iff
>drop003.iff
>drop004.iff
>drop005.iff
>drop006.iff
>drop007.iff
>drop008.iff
>drop009.iff
>drop010.iff  ;waves completely dissipated
>
>Then set frame offset to 4 and loop length to 150 frames (5 seconds).
>Note that your wave rings will have to dissipate before reaching the
>edges of the image map or they will look silly. Each droplet that has
>different timimg will have to have its own image sequence loaded in
>order to have a different offset and loop length (but you can specify
>the same images). For more details, see the tape or article Adam
>mentioned.
>  *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>  *           Mark Thompson           http://www.mv.com/ipusers/fusion  *
>  *         Fusion Films, Inc.              [email-masked]          *
>  * Director of Animation and Special FX      (603) 424-1829            *
>   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
>

I thought of one small twist to this method: Using Surface Morph and a
repeating envelope, why not have each ripple area morph back to the larger
puddle surface in between ripples? That way the ripple areas don't stand out
when they are quiet. Or, greatly exaggerate the ripple depth and then only
morph 50% into it. That way, you get droplet ripples and overall puddle
ripples both at the same time. I haven't tried it but it sounds good on phospor.

Hope I didn't come off sounding like a jerk, Mark. If it hadn't been for
your idea, I would never have thought of this one.

   ************************************************
   * Andy Hofman       |    LumaQuest Productions *            
   * [email-masked]  |             3D Animation *
   * 513-643-7333      |  Dual Raptor 3 Rendering *
   ************************************************